Impact Workers


CLOSED – Content Writer

About the role

We’re a remote-first tech startup (with an office in London) on a mission to rid the world of emotional pain by making therapy a default benefit in every company. We’re funded by Passion Capital, Ada Ventures and Seedcamp: the best VCs in the game. Watch a video about our mission here.

We make a proactive mental health support product that takes the pulse of how everyone in a company is feeling each week (through a nifty calendar integration), and then makes sure anyone at risk of poor mental health is prompted to book next-day therapy sessions (through our Slack and MS Teams integrations). See how our product works in more detail here.

How’s it been going so far? Since launching Spill in January 2020, we’ve grown from 0 to over 600 paying companies — including big names like Depop, Citymapper, Typeform and Bloom & Wild — and now over 30,000 people have access to Spill therapy.


The role and the work

💡 Why we’re hiring for this role:

We are hiring for a Content Writer in order to produce more written mental health and wellbeing content so that we can achieve our goal of >50% of inbound leads coming from SEO content.

Even though we’ve had an amazing two years, our dreams are big: we want to be in every company on Earth, after all, and that means that lots of companies need to hear about Spill.

A big part of how we want companies to hear about Spill relies on organic SEO content, something we’ve only started focusing on in summer 2022. We want any company Googling mental-health-related content to find something written by Spill — something incredibly informative, useful, clear and delightful.

We’re looking for someone to come in and supercharge Spill’s written-content capacity and quality, mostly writing in-depth guides and blog articles (about 80% of your time) — but also helping out on everything from website and product copy to customer case studies (in the remaining 20% or so of your time). Mental health and emotional wellbeing are massive topics, and we’ll never run out of interesting stuff to research and write about.

You’ll report into the Head of Brand & Content and work closely with the Demand Gen Lead, sales team, and sometimes the product team.


What we’re looking for

💡 Don’t meet all of the role requirements? Don’t worry! We care about outcomes rather than tickbox criteria, and it’s often the case that the perfect person for the role has a CV that looks a little different.

Research (by Harvard University 🤓) shows that women are particularly likely to second-guess themselves and not apply — so if you’re worried you don’t meet all the criteria, get in touch anyhow and let us do the worrying



✅ = requirement

⭐️ = not required, but amazing if you have it

❌ = probably means the role won’t be right for you

  • Someone with 3+ years of content writing experience. We’re looking specifically for people who’ve written content directly for a business or brand before (either directly or via an agency), rather than for a publication.
  • A portfolio with published work that you’ve written for businesses. We care about great writing, but we also care about getting stuff shipped. We’re interested in looking at the work you actually got out the door — not the work sitting around in your personal drafts folder.
  • ⭐️ Experience working for a startup or tech company. It’s an added bonus if you understand how written content marketing works within the wider machinery of a startup or tech company.
  • ⭐️ Experience writing for SEO. It’s an added bonus if you have an idea of how writing works when it’s aimed at the Google algorithm as well as the reader.
  • You’ve only worked as a journalist or blogger. We’re looking for someone who has specifically written for businesses or brands before.
  • You’re a marketing generalist looking to get into writing. We’re looking for someone who’s done this before — and is looking to step up and take their content writing career to the next level.


The pay and the benefits

The salary for this full-time role is £36-38k + stock options. We also offer:

  • free Spill therapy sessions whenever you want them
  • minimum 30 ****days holiday (plus U.K. Bank holidays)
  • an extra day off for your birthday
  • Spill bank holidays
  • £200 WFH setup allowance
  • enhanced parental leave


The application process

  • Application: submit your CV and a couple of writing samples (ideally 2 long form articles that you’ve written on behalf of a brand) to
  • Initial call: 30min to discuss the role and your experience
  • Task: a take-home written exercise followed by a call to discuss it
  • Values fit: a call with a couple of other people on the Spill team to talk about how you work, and how we work


Spill is a startup that offers a message-based therapy app to help improve workplace well-being.

Size: 11-50
Funding Level: Seed
Total Amount Raised: $3.5 M
Year Founded: 2017

Share this job